Monday 15 August 2005

White knickers

Somewhere out of the blue today, Mr Doris decided to take the kids to buy whites for playing squash. Being an ex-squash player he feels there is an etiquette and so I dug out my white squash dress. I'm not sure if it has shrunk since last time but I had to dig around to find my big white knickers as nothing else would do.

Daughter had been excited about going to play squash for the first time but practically freaked when she saw me in my uber-short dress and at first refused to go out to play squash en-famille with me dressed like that. Son thought I should be wearing shorts under my long t-shirt!

We went and it turned out brilliantly. Both kids in their new whites looked perfect and like something out of a soap powder advert. Considering it was their first time on a squash court they did rather well and they are both excited to continue. Which should be good exercise for Mr Doris when they get up to speed.

I'm the only one who was injured. As a spectator. Twice! The first time, Mr Doris decided to thrash the ball against the glass back wall to show the kids that all the walls could be used. I'm sitting on a chair watching from outside the court and in a reflex action of the ball flying straight towards me I throw my head back. Straight back with fright but into the brick wall. Son was very helpful and rubbed my head "to get the endorphins going" he said!

The second time was shortly after the first. Son has a lot of energy to burn up whilst his sister and Mr Doris were playing on court. Son is doing cartwheels and lands straight onto my crossed legs and practically breaking my foot. At this point I'm not sure if my head or my foot hurts most.

Otherwise fantastic night of exercise and hope the kids keep up the enthusiasm. Mr Doris and the kids all agreed that I needed a pair of shorts with my dress in future! I think I actually agree for once.


Original Comments:

Jo said...

Ah squash...I remember well my last foray... The court was double booked and me and my opponent found ourselves having to wait about 45 minutes to get on. A trip to the bar followed, and two halves of lager. Not recommended...

It's a tad energetic is squash :-)

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:57:00 AM

Mama Mouse said...

Oh I love to see people dressed all in white! I bet you all made a pretty picture! But Doris DO be careful next time ... you might hurt yourself and not be able to BLOG!! HORRORS!!

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 2:15:00 AM

vegemiterules said...

G'day Doris,

Sounds like a lovely family outing. I have not played squash for years, loved it when I was fit enough to play.

Hope that you did not get a "walnut" on your head.

Take care, hopefully I will be back soon

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 4:33:00 AM

Hannah said...

See?! People should listen when I say exercise is dangerous...

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:03:00 PM

Z said...

You know there is something positively delightful about being dressed in white! I always fancy myself when i go dressed for the dojo. Excuse me if i giggle at the way in which you came by your injuries. heh

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 1:29:00 PM

Cheryl said...

I have never played - I was even hopeless at tennis, at school.
Glad you all had fun!

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 1:52:00 PM

doris said...

Ah yes, squash and sport are definitely dangerous! As is swimming it seems. I took 3 boys swimming this afternoon (I didn't swim) and once again I'm the one that is injured... after the pool I took them to a diner for milkshakes and in all the fun and laughter I went to get up and dance to the jive on the jukebox (just to embarass them) when I slammed the back of the injured foot into some strange cross bracket on the padded bench. So painful - hard against the bone - I nearly went dizzy from the shock and pain.

Maybe I am getting old.... but later on I was kerb crawled by some 17-19 year olds! I think they need glasses!!! LOL

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 9:04:00 PM

MattyD said...

not doing too well with the injuries eh? :(

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 12:16:00 AM

anniebee said...

Son 1 started playing squash a couple of months ago. I don't think the dress code is too strict where he plays. He's just taken up golf though, after trying it on his school 'curriculum week', and of course they are sticklers for being dressed correctly.
I'm useless at ball sports, well any sports really. I got thrown out of the local tennis club as a teenager because I was so bad I was putting other people off, or so they told me!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 12:23:00 AM

zandperl said...

Unrelated to the current post, but I'm back in the US! :) Was it your blog on which I read a discussion of bidets? (See this post for why I'm asking.)

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 4:42:00 PM

fineartist said...

Squash seems like a cross between tennis and soccer to me, can tell I am from the states?

I can relate to getting hurt while being a spectator, I got so involved in a softball game once that in my excitement I fell off the bleachers. My son was mortified, from then on he insisted that I sit on the ground seats, so as not to embarrass HIM.

BTW, love your blog.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 7:17:00 PM

Mike Hitchen said...

LOL I love it! BTW, I am not sure if this trend has reached the UK yet, but the lawn bowling club near me has recentlyintroduced "bare foot bowling"

That wouldn't have gone down too well in Cardiff in my day:)

Mike

Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:10:00 PM

Chandira said...

yeah, squash is dngerous.. I've never played, but have also been injured as a spectator.

I remember in school, our squash courts used to be a great place to hang out and smoke cigarettes.. lol

Thursday, August 18, 2005 7:01:00 PM

Pearl said...

Sounds like a fun outing. Such a cardio sport.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 7:11:00 PM

No comments: