Sunday 21 August 2005

Passage of time

Looking through some old photographs I notice that photos of me that I once hated now look good. I look good! Everytime I have photographs taken of me I'm hyper-critical and notice the chubby cheeks or the generous chins, the thickening waist, the large profile, the less than flattering clothes, and think I look downright icky.

Then something magical seems to happen after a few years. I look back at these same photos and suddenly see that I not only actually looked good but could even be considered almost phwoar on occasion!

Perhaps the best thing is to keep having photos taken of me but don't look at them for a few years. By then my eyes might have mellowed towards myself.

@-`-,-- @-`-,-- @-`-,-- @-`-,-- @-`-,--


Original Comments:

Mama Mouse said...

I've noticed the very same phenomenon Doris! I was down right PRETTY once upon a time, a LONG LONG time ago! LOL

Now I only see my very square head, my wrinkles that have gotten MUCH more pronounced and my sagging double chin! UGH! Perhaps I'll live long enough to think the current pictures of me are attractive ... but I don't think I have THAT many years left! LOL

I don't think we ever look good to ourselves!

Sunday, August 21, 2005 2:01:00 PM

Anne said...

I noticed that, too! A few years ago, there were pictures of myself from a vacation that I couldn't even stand to look at. Now, I wish I looked that good.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:04:00 PM

Ghone said...

But are you brave enough to share any with us?
I hate having my photo taken - that's why I hide the other side of the lens!

Sunday, August 21, 2005 7:07:00 PM

doris said...

Ghone - it's a bit hard to keep up the anonymity thing if I start putting up pics of myself! Also, I'd far rather not spoil my granny image ;-)

Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:22:00 PM

MattyD said...

I've never really liked myself in photos. I'm not photogenic at all. I don't even understand why my girlfriend finds me attractive sometimes, but hey, I should be thankful for what I have :)

Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:43:00 PM

anniebee said...

Hating photos of myself was what started me off as the family photographer! I've changed so much that people wouldn't even recognise me in old photos.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:47:00 PM

bentley92 said...

I can remember going through High School never smiling. Back then I wasn’t happy with the way I looked or felt. I too think now I looked okay back then and wished there were a couple pics with smiles. These days I find it hard to find a picture that I’m not smiling in (I blame my kids). The most profound difference I see in those old pictures is how I’ve rounded. I no longer have the chiseled jaw or six pack. As a non-Englishman what does phwoar mean? Is it like phat (pretty hot and tempting)?

Monday, August 22, 2005 3:34:00 PM

Anji said...

Great idea. If I hang on long enough I won't be able to see mine at all!

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:39:00 PM

No comments: