Saturday 6 May 2006

Too much information

For a while I have thought about writing this post. As part of my work I need to process applications with very little information so I do quick web searches on the info given. So a word of warning, if you are into devious sexual practises it might be worth keeping an email addy just for that. I don't really want to know that you have a larger than normal penis or that you are after the latest Russian bride or that you are into dogging or wife swapping.

Of course we shouldn't be so prudish and the fact that these people have juicy private lives bears no relevance, it is just that I don't really want to know. At the moment, I don't suppose I would even remember these details when I deal with these people on a day to day basis but it does make me wince when I come across them.

On the other hand I have been completely struck by finding out the tragedy in someone's life. Finding out their little child had tragically and suddenly died. Just a year ago - enough info leading to a further websearch giving a BBC article. Watching the little website and memorials set up by a distraught parent. How can life ever move forward after such a devastation? My heart cries for them.


Original Comments:

Cheryl said...

Ouch.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:02:00 PM

Anonymous said...

Yes. Ouch! Sorry!

Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:10:00 PM

Britmum said...

Life does move forward eventually. Slowly but it never is the same again. There is always a piece of you that is missing.

It is hard learning about something that is very difficult to understand.

Take care

Catherine

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:57:00 AM

doris said...

Oh Catherine, I am so sorry for talking about it in this way and hope that I have not been disrespectful.

Ouch is about right. It was like a brick wall had slammed into me when I read about this and yet I am only a stranger and don't know any of the people concerned.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:22:00 PM

Pookie65 said...

I'm always amazed by what people will put on their web sites. I've came across some of the sweetest and ugliest things imaginable.

For the family suffering from a tragic loss it's probably quite comforting to them. And I imagine there are many strangers sending them thoughts and prayers. Who couldn't use a few more of those?

Huggers!

Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:45:00 PM

stellamarch said...

Thanks for voting for me. Many people have told me this, but I don't understand how to fix my template so that it can be enjoyed by firefox users also. Do you have any ideas?

Sunday, May 07, 2006 4:58:00 PM

doris said...

LOL Stella! You managed to find me without my url!

I just looked at your coding.... I think you are missing a closing div tag. I just counted up how many opened and how many closed and I seem to have one missing - they must be the same number.

Missing div tags are often the culprit for things like this. It messes up the layout and then on top of that you have lost a backgroun which then gives contrast to your text - at the moment it is about the same colour as your background!

Now, in order to make this correction you should download yourself a Mozilla browser - get one from here www.mozilla.com

That way you can view your blog on that browser as you experiment especially if you have a preview option in blog manager.

Now you can safely experiment by putting in one closing div tag. It will look like this but without the spaces:

< / d i v >

The best place to try is to put it either before an opening div tag which starts off like this

< d i v

but may have other coding after the div to specify which one.

or better still, start at the bottom of the page and put it after an existing closing div tag.

Only make one change at a time and be sure you know where it was. That way you can view it in preview mode and if nothing is better then take it out, refresh the preview and then try somewhere else. Be careful and meticulous and you may be very pleasantly surprised. (If you get a bit sloppy then I can not accept any responsibility!!!)

It isn't difficult - just a bit scary.

Try that for starters and best wishes!

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:18:00 PM

Britmum said...

Doris I didn't think you were being disrespectful at all sweetie. I know I would have felt that way too.

Take care

Catherine xx

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:19:00 PM

doris said...

OK Stella - a couple more things....

Find this on your page - towards the bottom: (NB I have to put spaces in for it to be accepted here as text so REMOVE all spaces!)

< / < / f o n t >

It should read

< / f o n t >


Then down the bottom on bottom most list called: Wander you are missing a closing ul:

So after:

Weblog Archives< / a > < / l i >

Should read:

Weblog Archives< / a > < / l i >
< / u l >

Try those before the closing div tag thing.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:41:00 PM

Le laquet said...

That poor family.

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:02:00 AM

Carol said...

What the heck is 'dogging'?

Monday, May 08, 2006 5:25:00 PM

doris said...

Dogging is where couples who are exhibitionists do "it" in public car parks at night knowing that others get their kicks from going to watch. It is a mutual exhibitionism and voyeurism in pre-arranged car parks. Usually out the way and off the beaten track.

I think that just about covers this curious little sport :-)

Monday, May 08, 2006 8:02:00 PM

Curly K said...

Everyday I am constantly amazed by how someone very close has managed to move her life forward despite the loss of her precious little one.

Its always so important to try to remember that we really never know the true extent of what is going on in others peoples lives and that sometimes when they piss us off, they have good reason to be the way they are.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 11:50:00 AM

ella m. said...

I've had this happen with applicants at my job as well, and be it TMI or personal tragedy, it always makes the interview process damn difficult, as you can't exactly bring up either subject to get clarification on the matter, as you shouldn't be privy to it in the first place.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:08:00 PM

No comments: