Tuesday 22 November 2005

Comfort food - Tiramisu

The 100% calorie-free comforter!!!

Tiramisu

Mascarpone cheese; double cream; organic egg yolk; sponge fingers; frozen chocolate, strong coffee sweetened and Tia Maria.
1) pour glass of Tia Maria and sip
2) whip Mascarpone, cream, egg yolk and generous slugs of Tia Maria until firmish

3) Pour several more generous slugs of Tia Maria into about half pint cold strong coffee ever so slightly sweetened. Put handfuls of the sponge fingers into the coffee and liquer and let soak a moment and then lay in serving dish. Keep going until you have base covered in sponge fingers.
4) Use a peeler to shave chocolate over the moist finger base. I used about half of a strip of chocolate here.
5) Keep sipping your liquer

6) Pour over the whipped Mascarpone mixture. No extra sugar was needed in it as the liquer sweetens it if you use enough!
7) Spread out the cream mixture.
8) This is what it looks like from the side.
9) Shave some more of the chocolate over the top.
10) Admire how it is looking and sip some more Tia Maria.
11) Refrigerate for at least several hours. I made this at lunchtime and will eat it the same evening. It tastes even better the next day as the flavours and textures will have developed.
12) This is very important and in fact you shouldn't attempt this recipe unless you do the following. Get your mixing bowl...
13) ... and lick it nice and clean. A clean finger should do the trick. Make sure you haven't wasted any precious mixture on the beaters either. A tongue is good for them (but first unplug mixer!)
14) Some hours later you are ready to serve up...
15) Enjoy.

As for those calories you must remember that if you worry over these things then you are lost. Eat with love and thanks and just don't over do it. Mr Doris and I will probably finish off this pud in two days!! :-)



Original Comments:

Le laquet said...
Yum! Mascarpone ... with anything, yum!
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:18:00 AM
Hannah said...
It's fine: if you cut it in half, all the calories will fall out. It's one of the Diet Rules. :D
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:43:00 AM
jane said...
It's 3am & I find myself wanting to go to YOUR house & raid your fridge.
The restaurant where my daughter works used to serve tiramisu but stopped for some really stupid reason.
Gosh Doris, that looks absolutely scrumptous.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:54:00 AM
Ally said...
[moan of greed ...]
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:34:00 PM
MrsDoF said...
I think I gained a couple pounds just looking at the yummy pictures. Yum!
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:03:00 PM
ella m. said...
I'm going to the store to get ingredients, just so I can make this tomorrow. :drool:
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:16:00 PM
doris said...
LOL

Le Laquet Absolutely!

You know Le Laquet, I had a funny thing with my browser last night and couldn't access my blog because it kept serving up yours! It was a strange browser cache problem [of mine] because it had my url but each time your blog!!!

Hannah I endorse that theory too ;-)

Jane :-) "The restaurant where my daughter works used to serve tiramisu but stopped for some really stupid reason." That reason would be the bird flu I suspect. Musn't use raw egg products but what the heck, I'm British and we ate British beef during mad cow disease when the rest of the world boycotted it! I went for a quality organic egg but I reckon it is supposed to be the free range chooks more at risk from birds carrying bird flu!

Ally :-) At least even less calories and probably burns some just looking!

MrsDoF Nah - you should be losing the calories from the brain energy of imagining these sumptious and cosy warm creamy flavours >grin<

Ella M If you do, let me know. I reckon every time I make it my quantities are slightly different so I reckon one can be flexible. I used to put a good vanilla essence into the cream but I reckon the Tia Maria puts paid to the flavour so don't bother now.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:09:00 PM
Milt Bogs said...
It's time to point Mrs B. at a new pud.
Thursday, November 24, 2005 12:33:00 AM
/T/ said...
oh my god, that looks good. You just made me crave Tiramisu more than anything. Can I order here?
Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:11:00 AM
Sarah said...
I'm not a big Tiramisu fan but it does look very yummy!
Thursday, November 24, 2005 11:56:00 AM
Anji said...
Wow, you made that AND took the photos. I'll buy your cookery book when it comes out!
Thursday, November 24, 2005 3:03:00 PM
craziequeen said...
[dribble]

any use asking if there are leftovers??

cw
Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:35:00 PM
Lisa said...
Sounds delicious. However, I would like to posit that it is not comfort food. Far too much work is involved fot that to be comfort food. Comfort food is chocolate, chips, cake... oh God. I need some chocolate.
Thursday, November 24, 2005 7:45:00 PM
Neutron said...
Wow, I haven't had tiramisu for yonks!! MMMMmmmmmmmmm...
We once took one - well laced with alcohol...the cake I mean - to my older daughter's kindergarten summer party only to find - shock horror - that when our backs were turned the kids had eaten more than half of it and were staggering around drunk! We took my younger daughter to a different kindergarten!
Thursday, November 24, 2005 11:10:00 PM
Writer Mom said...
Just came out of my Thanksgiving coma, thinking I could never eat anything ever again. You have cured me! I want to eat again!!
Yum E!!!
Friday, November 25, 2005 4:15:00 PM

No comments: