Wednesday 9 November 2005

Brussels on a stick

For my Christmas Dinner I want brussel sprouts on a stick. Not in a net bag from the supermarket but cleverly packaged onto a monstrous stick fresh from an organic farm.

We had one delivered in our organic veg box last week and I had forgotten that sprouts grew like that. And they weren't regimental in size. It was fun cutting them off their dinosaur limb, preparing them, sizing them up and putting the smaller ones in after the larger ones had started cooking.

Cooked in just enough water, drained and tossed in organic butter. Yum, yum although still an acquired taste.


Original Comments:

Cheryl said...
You need an allotment!
:-D
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 11:31:00 AM
doris said...
LOL You are probably right!
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 11:57:00 AM
jane said...
I had no idea brussels grew like that. Are they also called 'brussel sprouts'? That's all I've heard of here, so I'm assuming they're the same thing. They sound delicious.
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:10:00 PM
Ally said...
I LURVE brussel sprouts and I want an allotment, too. I've had the papers to apply for about year and what with one thing and another haven't got round to it ...
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:14:00 PM
Astryngia said...
When we moved to our new rural location, I kept seeing these things stacked up against the village shop wall. I'd never seen them before in my life and had no idea until I got up close that they were brussels sprouts. I'm always amazed to discover the most obvious things that I've never before come across. I love your illustrations, you always find perfection to share with us!
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 3:43:00 PM
MrsDoF said...
I must have acquired the taste as a small child when my pappap was growing them in the garden. I do love brussel sprouts, and want some like that again. Your picture and description brought back so many fine memories of my little girl mind.
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 6:37:00 PM
Library Lady said...
They are called "brussels" or "brussel sprouts" and they are the same thing. Yes, they really grow that way.

Most of the sprouts we get in the US are horrid, because from everything I've read about them, sprouts need cold weather to really develop their flavor--in fact it is best to pick them AFTER a frost! But most of ours here are grown in sunny California, so they don't get that lovely flavor.

Here in the US we don't have the sort of system of allotment gardens the UK has, but a lot of communities DO have community gardens. I have a plot that measures about 200 square feet, and I have always wanted to try growing brussels. They look like weird little palm trees. One of these years, I'll get around to it...
Thursday, November 10, 2005 4:17:00 AM
mrshellonheels said...
I loooove brussel sprouts. Haven't had them in ages. Thanksgiving is right around the corner and they will be on the table this year : )
Thursday, November 10, 2005 6:20:00 AM
Annie said...
Brussel sprouts are one thing I can't stomach. I have to swallow them whole if I have to eat them. My Mum still kept giving them to me until I was in my mid-thirties! I used to give them to my brother. I've seen them on the sticks locally. We have a lot of farmer's markets and stuff here.
Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:46:00 AM
Host of Spirits said...
Sprouts are soooo easy to grow - just shove the seed in the ground and wait - actually most veg are that easy to grow

Just wish I had the space - sigh - all I have is a postage stamp sized back garden.
Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:57:00 AM
Milt Bogs said...
It all sounds vaguely obscene to me Doris. Monstrous sticks of organic produce, tossed in organic butter. :o
Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:34:00 AM
doris said...
Milt Trust you to lower the tone!!!! LOL

I seem to be learning a lot here in these comments. Quite an education :-)
Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:55:00 AM
Anji said...
I lived in a region of the midlands where there was a lot of sprout growing. You wouldn't appreciate them so much when the ones left in the fields start to go off!
Friday, November 11, 2005 9:54:00 AM
Uncle Pavian said...
Brussel sprouts do look funny when they're coming up in the garden, but you should try planting okra some time.

Incidentally, the Germans refer to them as rosenkohl, or "rose cabbage", and cook them with a cream sauce flavored with nutmeg.

Yum.
Friday, November 11, 2005 5:39:00 PM
birdychirp said...
Sprouts are wonderful - apparently great served with parmesan and chilli
Friday, November 11, 2005 7:24:00 PM
Writer Mom said...
They are probably delicious when not served water logged and burnt, right? That's just how U.S. mothers frustrated with their children cook them up? Or just MY mom?
We also dump a lot of cheddar cheese on them over here.
Sunday, November 20, 2005 2:32:00 AM

No comments: