Friday 1 July 2005

Why Live8?

Serious hat on:

I have my Make Poverty History wrist band and my blog sports the logo and a link to the website. Tomorrow are the big Live8 concerts but will we really make a difference?

This time it is not about raising money. It is about changing attitudes. Each and every one of us, if we willed it, we can cause a complete turnaround in this world. All us small people add up to the whole. Presidents and Prime Ministers are only small people too.

Do we really need all the things that we own? Do we need to eat all these expensive processed foods? Do we need all the vehicles outside our doors and do we need all the latest gizmos? Do we need to work our butts from 8-6 in order to pay for our expensive mortgages? Do we need to drive such hard deals when we buy and sell?

I'm not against profit and industrialisation. It has given me the pleasure to sit here and be part of the blog community and any other online community I care to choose from. But there comes a point where profit and business is held above all else and the making of the profit is a purely selfish matter.

There is not enough pride in who we are, what we do and what we have achieved. There is dignity in working the earth and keeping toilets clean. If we each took more pleasure and pride in who and where we are we might have more humanity and compassion amongst us.

But we have to use our own brains. Don't just follow the herd. We have to think. Why? What? How? Who says? There is so much we do wrong in our own society and we have to be careful that we don't just export our own mistakes as well as our our goodwill and good intentions.

No-one has the answer and there is not one answer, but we have to do something.

Original Comments:

Shannin said...

Very aptly said. I've tried to pare down my belongings and do small things like eat local foods and support local companies. It's not always easy, but I hope I'm making a little difference.

Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Here via Michele.

Friday, July 01, 2005 8:27:00 PM

doris said...

Hi Shannin - I'm sure it makes a difference. I could be earning more money but instead I balance out my work with lots of voluntary work and helping others where I can. On the other hand, I have known what it is like to be on the bread line and just about managing. Stuff like this can seem sooo idealistic so it does seem hard to talk about it!

Thanks for your comment and I look forward to visiting you :-)

Friday, July 01, 2005 8:38:00 PM

birdychirp said...

Top post. Brilliantly put. I like ethical shopping but do tend to be a bit acquisitive. Something to work on at this end I think!

Friday, July 01, 2005 10:33:00 PM

doris said...

Thank you for your comment Birdychirp. I look forward to visiting you :-)

Friday, July 01, 2005 10:58:00 PM

doris said...

Ha-ha! I didn't recognise your name Birdychirp ..... Hiiiiii :-)

Birdychirp has written some great posts on the subject - do visit her. http://birdychirp.blogspot.com

Friday, July 01, 2005 11:00:00 PM

zandperl said...

It's kinda funny that living a simpler life often costs more. Organic food. Buying reusable grocery bags. Taking the bus.

Not always, I know. Turning lights off. Turning the thermostat up in summer, down in winter. Using compact fluorescent lights.

But often enough that when you're pressed for both time and money (as I often am), it's a hard decision to make.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 12:35:00 AM

jane said...

Thank you Doris!! You just reminded me to make my 1st donation to heifer.org. I'm going to put an entry to it soon. I think this AID program their doing is great, its a long time committment. With everything we all have, nobody should be starving. Thank you for reminding me!! I always love reading your entries.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:44:00 AM

doris said...

Hi Zandperl

I know what you mean .... but without tying ourselves up in knots I think there are simple everyday things we do that could be done better. But more importantly, I think it is the way we think that needs greatest change!

Hi Jane

I look forward to finding out about your chosen charity.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 9:38:00 AM

Cheryl said...

Brilliant post. Not much else I can say, except 'too true'.
Nice.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 2:00:00 PM

Karen said...

Great post - I'm sat watching Live 8 now - I hope to god it makes a difference.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:10:00 PM

doris said...

Did you see Will Smith do his bit from the US and the hellos being passed all round the world? And his bit about the Declaration of Independance and how we should be having the Declaration of Inter-dependence... the power behind such messages brings a tear to my eye.

And then, have you seen the roving reporter interviewing the various acts hyping up the day with innane comments such as isn't this the best day ever when it had only just gotten underway. I'm cringing. I hope someone told her to cut the hype as it isn't necessary.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:23:00 PM

Bernadette said...

Less is more, except where number of children is concerned! ;~)

Saturday, July 02, 2005 9:35:00 PM

anniebee said...

Very well put. Have a good week. *Hugs*

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:47:00 AM

birdychirp said...

thanks for the plug Doris!

Monday, July 04, 2005 10:02:00 PM

mrsmogul said...

I watched the Live8 concert who knows if it will make a difference? People are still starving in Africa...

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:04:00 PM

doris said...

I am appalled by the riots taking place in Scotland today. There is something wrong here. I'm not a conspiracist but I'd be tempted to think that this has been set up to reflect badly on anyone wanting to raise a voice 'against' the G8 summit.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:36:00 PM

No comments: