Tuesday 12 July 2005

Space Ship

A crew of seven, led by a woman, might be heading off into space tomorrow Wednesday 13 July at 1551 EDT (2051 BST; 1951 GMT). They are scheduled to be in space for 12 days and are due to land on Monday 25 July at 1101 EDT (1601 BST; 1501 GMT).

The weather, with a hurricane brewing, might affect take-off. Also, there are still some issues with sensors which have not been resolved. I hope that the feeling is to err on the side of caution rather than make the launch take place.

The crew have to brave. The last shuttle, Columbia, blew up on re-entry in 2003. Challenger blew up in 1986. This shuttle is called Discovery and epitomises the return to space travel. Safety is a top priority.

Discovery will travel to the International Space Station, test new safety procedures and deliver supplies to the Space Station.

These are our explorers for the future. I couldn't do their job, neither physically, mentally nor with their courage. Good luck to them.

NASA website

How does it work is a NASA page linking to 13 mini films lasting about a minute and a half each. Very simplistic and to the point. I can't say I really understand all of it but some of it is very good and gave me a better idea of how it actually works!


Original Comments:

MissMeliss said...

Hi, Doris - thanks for visiting my site!

When we were sending shuttles up more often, my husband and I used to watch the launches in Real Time on NASA's website.

I'm glad you posted about this, because now I'll remember to watch tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to spending more time poking around your site.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:37:00 PM

Pearl said...

I hadn't heard of this. Thanks for the info.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:09:00 PM

guest said...

As always, good post Doris. Just think of all the technological discoveries we have in our lives because of studies in space. There are some who think space exploration and study in the space station is a waste of taxpayer money. I know the entire World benefits from the advances those brave men and women come up with. I plan on watching it all take place tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:46:00 PM

Abraham Lincoln said...

This is a special day for us. I never thought I would see it, but here it is.

Thanks for visiting my site and for the kind comment.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:52:00 PM

jane said...

Doris, you really like to find out how things work! I find that admirable. You have such a way of making things like this sound interesting.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:26:00 PM

Ghone said...

Doris, do you fancy a trip to the moon?

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:50:00 PM

doris said...

The money spent on space exploration is a biggy, considering there is so much hunger and debt in the world but the way I see it (at the moment) is that it is a bit like having one's own debts but I still like to put a few pounds into a savings account. I know it is not a good analogy - I'm not very good at them - but it is like whilst the debts get sorted you should still push forward and invest in the future.

I am naturally curious about things which I think came with my job description as a human! And here on my blog I get to spout all my odd thoughts :-)

But I don't know if I'd want to go to the moon because I think I'd just burst with the excitement.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 12:02:00 AM

Milt Bogs said...

Are you sure that this is a good idea? "A crew of seven, led by a woman." :-O

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 12:42:00 AM

Cheryl said...

Umm

Tagged you for a meme because I am stupid. Fancy tagging someone who uses a pseudonym for an 'all about my life' meme. Oops.

Ignore it?

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:16:00 AM

doris said...

Thanks for saying so Cheryl but I seem to have mellowed overnight and felt able to do it!

Milt - are you trying to be provocative?!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:20:00 AM

No comments: