Friday 14 April 2006

Enchanted Gardens

We were young together once, my cousin and I. Thirty-three years later we have spent the past week together meeting relatives neither of us have ever met or some I haven't seen since a child. We have held hands and played and laughed and cried. There have been difficult parts with truly horrible rellies but these have been far outweighed by the lovely ones. Most of all has been the incredible relationship and love my cousin and I share. There is too much to say in one go so I am not going to attempt it.

This past week or so has been like we are together again in an enchanted garden. Reminding me of my cousin's enchanted garden which her father - my beloved uncle - created for his family. A real and beautiful garden with nooks and crannies; waves of colour and the greenest grass. He created a wonderful childhood for his children and it is one I was priveleged to share for a brief while. In the garden us cousins would play, round hidden paths, up the cubby house or down the end of the garden to the creek and the bridge he made to go over it. It was the only house with a bridge in the neighbourhood and it was much appreciated by the local kids. We'd play in the trickling water amongst the pebbles. Uncle would give us helicoptor spins in the garden. His strong hands and arms, which carved the finest art and created the most beautiful gardens and built the strongest foundations, would hold us tight and we'd feel so safe and happy. In the hot summers he would helicoptor spin us through the sprinkler to screams of laughter and delight. It was an enchantment.

Then through the painfulness of his own memories he couldn't stay in this world anymore and I can't comprehend how his own children coped with losing the most wonderful father ever. And I feel a bit guilty for only ever thinking of my own loss and not theirs. However, we were all young children and that is how it was and death grabs you like that.

My lovely cousin might be writing her own blog in due course. I don't know but I hope so though she is away travelling for another couple of weeks. Maybe she might write down her own stories. And if it wasn't for her having no hesitation and every confidence in me then we wouldn't have met up so soon. She and my Aunt have travelled across the world and the hemispheres to be here. We've done it now and can now move forward to even better things together.

Whilst I was away on my travels and completely unbeknown to me my darling Mr Doris was creating our own enchanted garden in our back yard. He doesn't even know the significance of it all! He planned it before my departure and had it in place within four days. Astro turf on the concrete with fancy brick edgings; a mandala of stones with a sunburst design; white gravel; yard art fixed to the wooden part of the fence and painting of various features. He transformed a dull grey concrete yard (admittedly overhung with glorious trees from the park next door) into a wonderland of colour. Like a mini-golf fest. My cousin and Aunty and I saw it mid way through our travels and were bowled over. Me: I just love my Mr Doris for coping with me and everything over the last few months and for the things he does.

I'm exhausted and so I reckon I am not quite back yet. So many emails to catch up on and I need to find my feet again after this incredible whirlwind. Goodness knows how my cousin will manage as her journeys continue to see relative on her mother's side.

Lucky us that we get to meet up one more time, next Saturday, before she leaves the UK. I'm sure that is when the tears will flow and we'll have to be very brave.


Original Comments:

Stegbeetle said...
You move me, Doris. I'm so pleased for you that it all worked out well on the whole.
Bless you, lady, and your little patch of enchantment too!
Friday, April 14, 2006 10:48:00 AM
Ally said...
Yes, I am so happy for you. And you are so eloquent in the way that you share it. Have a happy week.
Friday, April 14, 2006 11:32:00 AM
Milly S said...
:)

I'm not hre - I forgot my password, but had to say just that:
:)
Friday, April 14, 2006 6:05:00 PM
Astryngia said...
A great sense of closure, doris. Gardens seem to be a theme in the blogs i'm reading just now and there's so much meaning in them. What a wonderful Mr Doris to create something so special and to know, intuitively, just what was needed.
Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:04:00 AM
Le laquet said...
SOunds wonderful, so glad that you got to spend precious time remembering together and good on Mr Doris for being so thoughtful too! Have a good Easter weekend
Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:09:00 AM
doris said...
Thanks all for your kind words wrapping me in hugs and making me feel comfortable to share these special times :-)
Monday, April 17, 2006 1:22:00 PM
jane said...
That was such a touching post, Doris. Isn't life interesting in that just as you're reflecting on the enchanted garden, Mr. Doris creates one for you? I'm so glad you & your cousin got to hold hands again, it's the simple things that matter the most.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 4:59:00 PM

No comments: