Sunday 30 April 2006

The Ex, the Dinner and the Dream

He arrived quite late so we launched right into dinner. I had already suggested to Mr Doris we may have to forgo Dr Who and watch the repeat instead as it would be a tad impolite to rush him through dinner just to fulfil my Dr Who fix!

It was worth it though as dinner was fun. Even daughter got into the swing of it and we ended up talking politics. You see, daughter has decided she is going to uni to do a degree in politics even though she never talks politics at home. It was interesting then to hear her drawn out and become vocal on the subject. She has scary views which I hope come down to her youth and will be tempered in time.

After dinner we retired to the parlour where ex, the kids and I played rummy until midnight. Admidst laughter and bluff and double bluff it was a fun time.

After son went to bed, ex told us about his dream. It was set in our house and consisted of my brother hauling my ex up against the wall and threatening him with a knife for daring to turn up and just waft in and out of our lives and how terrible he was. It was the dream that shook up ex and made him come visit immediately. Sounds to me like someone's guilty conscience getting the better of him!

Today we took a drive en famille and found a nice country pub for lunch. Home for a cuppa and then goodbyes. Ex gives son a tenner to which son looks as if the riches of the world have been bestowed upon him. Ho hum. Daughter was called down to say goodbye and the same was pressed into her hand. I guess that might be it for another year.


Original Comments:

Stegbeetle said...

Glad verything went well and you had fun.
Rather sad ending, though. £20 shouldn't absolve ex of his responsibilities but there, that's none of my business and maybe I'm speaking out of line. Sorry.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 8:21:00 PM

Cheryl said...

Great ending. Cordial, like a visit from an Uncle or family friend and if he has gone away happy that Mr Doris and the whole set up means that his kids are 'fixed', that there is no onus to fulfil responsibility and he can visit as a friend and not as a scorned child who let the world down, then I don't see how things could be better, under the circumstances. If future visits are spontaneous and based on wanting to see the kids rather than feeling that he ought to, or even if he dissappears for another couple of years because the guilt dreams stop now he knows you have a happy family, well either way, it sounds like the tension is gone?
Congrats to you & Mr for hosting so well.
xxxxx

I wish I could remember the whole poem, but the end bit goes:

"But you my love I'll always love, wherever you may be
So you may stay or go away, it doesn't worry me."

Monday, May 01, 2006 7:57:00 AM

ella m. said...

Here's hoping that guilty conscience will prod him to visit more often, the driting in and out of their lives must be hard on the kids.

Glad all is/went well otherwise.

Monday, May 01, 2006 7:28:00 PM

Ally said...

I'm glad it went well; it's such a civilised way to behave, a shame that it's quite rare for everyone to get on like that!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 4:05:00 PM

Neutron said...

I'm also glad and quite relieved it went well...phew...huh?

It reminds me of my brother who having been totally out of touch for 30 years suddenly appeared at my mother's 80th birthday...(well, she had found him after years of searching and put pressure on him to come). He also did a fair bit of tenners-into-hand-pressing but that has subsequently died out and I haven't heard from him for over 2 years...

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:04:00 PM

MrsDoF said...

Here is a similar tale of an Ex

Random and Odd

I'm glad folks are able to get along.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:48:00 PM

No comments: