Saturday 18 June 2005

Daleks and Bad Wolf


I didn't need Mad Baggage to remind me that tonight is the last episode from this series of Dr Who. My life will be bereft without it.

This series of Dr Who (I never much cared for previous series!) is on par with listening to Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy the first time round on Radio 4 in the 70's on late Saturday afternoons. It was Mr Doris who counted down with excitement to this series starting and me being the nice partner, willingly sat with him. But from the first 60 seconds I have been smitten. I've hugged myself with delight at each episode. I just can't get enough of it.

Dr Who is magnificent. Rose is utterly superb and the best ever assistant and between them the electricity is scintillating. My only gripe is that sometimes the Dr is unnecessarily stupid because Rose shines with curiosity and brilliance and courage without the need for him to sometimes be the prat. Who'd have thought the flippity little pop star Billie Piper had it in her to be such a brilliant actress?

Tonight's programme is the second of two and a natural progression for the whole series. Each of the stories are interconnected and I think are brilliantly written and inter-woven.

Did I mention it can be scary for the little ones? For young street-wise kids with super Fx computer games to be scared by a modern Dr Who with its walking zombies and people eating wheelie bins is incredible. I didn't think they could pull it off. Like so many programmes out there it just isn't the same as the original. In this case and in my view this outclasses the previous series.

Did I mention the humour? Superb. Classic and so very funny on different levels but not in a Disney way which is usually quite risque. This is so much more clever.

Unfortuneately I don't have any royalty free pics of daleks in my clip art so had to settle for nicking the above piccy from the BBC website. They even have a sound page for the bestest dalek "Exterminate!" and the hilarious Michael Jackson piss-take "Moisturise me, moisturise me". Listen and reminisce!

And did I mention the Bad Wolf Corporation. That's only for the die-hards who have watched the entire series :-)


Original Comments:


Karen said...
Glad to see I'm not the only mad Dr Who fan.......
Saturday, June 18, 2005 3:39:00 PM
doris said...
:-) I think there are quite a few of us out there. Someone I know, knows someone who has bought a "real" dalek from Ebay. It was used in one of the earlier series. Unfortuneatly the owner wasn't in so I had to make do with watching the home-vid of the kids playing with this Dalek.... going up and down the drive to the pavement. Goodness knows what passing drivers thought of it! It looked fantastic.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 4:08:00 PM
Cheryl said...
My Eight year old is still a bit wary of wheely bins - she covers by cracking jokes.........every, single time we go past one.

So fed up that we have to change Dr actors already - I wonder who it'll be.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 5:05:00 PM
doris said...
I can not believe you said that Cheryl... about who is to be the next Dr Who? It's a done deal I believe: "Casanova star David Tennant will replace Christopher Eccleston as the lead role."

Billie Piper is to go too half way through the next series but I am not sure who is supposed to replace her. I think I heard it rumoured that her screen ex-boyfriend was going to but I don't see the logic.

Also, I have a bit of a connundrum. If the Doctor is always being replaced by a descendant, and according to the Doc himself he is the last of the Time-Lords, then who would be replacing him? I thought that maybe the Doc and Rose might get it together and have off-spring.....

Also, Mr Doris guesses that Bad Wolf is actually an alter-ego of the Doc himself. Hmm. We'll see.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 5:59:00 PM
doris said...
Wow! My eyes welled up when the Dr put Rose in the Tardis and sent her back... and then her ex-boyfriend pulled out the stops and helped because he loved her... then Rose was prepared to die because she loved the Dr and then the Dr finally put his life up because he loved Rose. And they finally kissed! Phew! Is this science fiction or a love story?!

I loved it when Rose stood there with all the vortex power and disposed of the daleks just like that. Wouldn't that be an amazing power to have.

And in the end we saw the new doctor. I wasn't sure which Casanova actor they were talking about but he looked great in the role and I'm glad we saw him now so I don't build up a resistance to the next series because it wasn't complete with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper.

It was wonderful. I don't know how they pack so much action and adventure and emotion into 45 minutes. Priceless.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 8:24:00 PM
Ghone said...
He was still too northern for my liking!!!
Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:01:00 PM
doris said...
Well anyone north of the Watford gap would be too northern for someone in Milky Beans!!!

Yah only jealous >grin<
Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:13:00 PM
Dawn said...
Michele sent me and I am glad she did. I see you just started this blog and I did go sown and read some of your old post.....very interesting....pubic hair...that is the question......

I will be back for more.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 10:42:00 PM
doris said...
Thanks! Um, yes, the pubic hair posts.... I'm gob-smacked I even wrote it but I gather that level of being personal is part of a normal blogger life cycle!

I'm coming to visit you :-)
Saturday, June 18, 2005 10:48:00 PM
Milt Bogs said...
Thanks for the link - I'm more used to being "exterminated".
Sunday, June 19, 2005 12:55:00 AM
jane said...
I went & listened to the "Moisturize me, Moisturize me" hahaha
I think MJ may be headed out your way :)~~~ lock up all the boys quickly!!

jane
Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:04:00 AM
momma said...
It's Momma again--My middle son has been an avid Dr. Who fan for years. I remember him as a teen watching the show through the fuzz because we didn't pick up that station too well back then. He also is waiting for the new Dr. to start. Nice visiting with you!
Monday, June 20, 2005 1:21:00 AM

No comments: