Saturday 29 October 2005

Channel 69

Someone at NTL has a sense of humour. It was about quarter to midnight here and I'm channel hopping when "Night time TV for under 3s" catches my eye so I have to stop and see what that is.

Surreal or what. It is on Channel 69 for starters, the humour of which wasn't lost on our 16 year old daughter as she walked in to print stuff up on the printer. At the point I started watching it was like a wonderful acid trip - assuming I had tried acid and knew what is what like. Swirling coloured oils on water accompanied by light classical music.

It's been on for an hour now and I've not even had a drink. It would be good to be slightly tipsy and sharing the joke with a few friends. This possibly even tops the shopping channel and at one point they had wooden toys on a turntable. Just like a display on QVC.

Each wooden toy with string limbs had been carefully placed. It wouldn't have been quite so funny if we hadn't just watched a programme on people's bodies. Various people in many stages of nakedness talk about the various details on their bodies with a few scenes in a sauna with young men sitting with their legs akimbo revealing all. These wood and string toys couldn't help but be sitting akimbo and I could see appendages and them talking in funny regional accents about their bodies.

We've had wind chimes and wildlife shots and screen savers and fish tank scenes so that the TV looks like it is a fish tank.

A google reveals Baby TV has been going for two years in Israel and is coming out across the networks worldwide. Look out for it for yourself. A few bevvies and a spliff might just do the trick. Goodness knows what effect this has on the kids if it does that for me?

Some links on the subject: Worldscreen.com or Children Concerts Transcend Gaza or Baby TV controversy



Original Comments:

rashbre said...

Hmm - I can't help wondering what condition you were in when you STARTED watching this channel if it kept you transfixed for an hour or more?!?

Happy biscuiteering, or methinks you may have moved on to chocolate brownies?

Smiles and goodness...

rashbre

Saturday, October 29, 2005 4:20:00 PM

Gary said...

This sounds just the channel for me

Saturday, October 29, 2005 5:26:00 PM

jane said...

I've wondered about something like this before, a screen saver but on tv. i hope it starts over here, i'll love it!

Monday, October 31, 2005 1:46:00 AM

Milt Bogs said...

It didn't make you go to sleep though.

Monday, October 31, 2005 9:40:00 AM

Anonymous said...

Wow i can't beleive other people have watched the channel, thought i was the only one. i actually watch with my baby (9months) during the day and she really loves it! maybe they meant to make it 69, like get in the mood, have a baby, and then watch our channel

Monday, October 31, 2005 12:45:00 PM

doris said...

Rashbre I'm not sure either but I was pretty gobsmacked by it all. I so loved your Advanced biscuitry post - have yet to link to it proper!

Gary Not quite as mind numbing as QVC and the other shopping channels!

Jane You can get them for TV.... I saw it advertised on... QVC! I think it is a DVD but I could be wrong.

Milt I use QVC for that! I wonder how kids get on with the channel and if they want to stay for more or eventually fall asleep?

Anonymous I've wondered if I would have watched it when my kids were babes and still waking up in the night. As for the 69 thing I bet the channel organisers wanted to avoid all the cliches and having said no the the sex channels getting this "prestigious" address (I'm assuming) gave it away to an age group who wouldn't think about the connotations.

Have you heard all the controversy with psychologists saying that ANY TV viewing for children under 4 was harmful?

Monday, October 31, 2005 6:59:00 PM

No comments: