Saturday 8 October 2005

Gorilla Eyebrows

It is not until we make changes that we realise what sort of a rut we are in and have gotten so used to it we don't even realise. For example, daughter completed her makeover of me yesterday and having plucked away at one eyebrow I took a look in the mirror and was horrified to compare the streamlined and manicured brow opening up one eye to the bushy gorilla number hiding away the other eye. Of course I make it sound worse than it is, but that is not far from the reality.

First though, 16 year old daughter cut my long "straight as a die" hair using a method we found online. I have to say that this method worked a treat considering daughter had not really cut that much hair before nor cut layers or into a style. After doing this method three times - first time took off 4 inches but it wasn't enough, the second time took off two inches and the final time a further two inches. Even then, it was still long about my shoulders so she cut into the length to take it down and thin it out. I now have lengths sitting on my shoulders with much more body and lift all round my head with the layers.

After that she used L'Oreal Feria French Roast colour and that surprisingly uplifted my flat dark hair but best of all zapped the greys. This is the first time I had used this particular product and it stank worse than any I have ever used before but the results were amazing. Before using the conditioner that came with that, daughter then used the Garnier Multi-Lights Kit 4. Daughter was quite pessimistic and basically slapped this one on. I was rather cautious but let her get on with it. However, the results were truly amazing. Not just bleached highlights but tones of highlight that matched the colour of my hair. After that my hair desperately needed the conditioner and once dried shone like it hasn't shone in a while.

Eyebrow plucking next, for which I was exceedingly brave, and that was followed by an unknown swish of make-up and then trying on my new clothes. I was truly gob-smacked and uplifted and sashayed my way round the house in my new clothes and shoes. Dear Mr Doris was able to say the right things in the right places whilst I have strict instructions from daughter to wear my new clothes or else she will impound my old items!

Off I went in my make-up and glad-rags to collect son from his Friday evening activity to quite good effect. One mum didn't recognise me until I started speaking to her whilst her son didn't even recognise me at all and thought I was his friend's (my son) sister! This exceeds the TV programme "10 Years younger" where they do a radical makeover in 10 days including cosmetic surgery, and more like "Thirty years younger"!!!

I'm off to buy an eye pencil today - again under strict instructions from daughter. On the whole it hasn't cost that much to get such a great buzz but I have been lucky to have someone to do it for me (remembering I was prepared to take the risk should it have gone wrong). If only my new shoes didn't bite quite so much ;-)


Original Comments:

Badaunt said...

You are making me jealous. I want someone to pluck MY eyebrows. Every time I do it myself something goes hideously wrong. (They're not meant to be uneven, are they...?)

God, what a wonderful time you're having!

Saturday, October 08, 2005 3:09:00 PM

doris said...

Thanks Badaunt, I AM having a wonderful time :-)

However, I didn't mention the blip with the eyebrows.... daughter decided they were just a little long in length and needed trimming back. Even though I reckoned trimming them would make them stumpier I let he get on with it. The clippers slipped and chomped short a whole section... no surprise there! To which she coloured it in with a bit of pencil, pressed it in with her thumb and assured me it would grow back in a couple of weeks. I reallly am laughing and think it is funny. True they will grow back but even like this it looks so much better than what it was.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:10:00 PM

DaFFy said...

Ha! I just cleared up a wonderous monobrow I was cultivating. Now I can see in the mirror that I actually have eyes. Who knew?

Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:24:00 PM

Cheryl said...

That's IT!!

Send her over. I'll pay.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 5:06:00 PM

Growing Up said...

When i get my hair cut i feel like a new woman and i think many women feel the same. Like you said it just gives you a buzz.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 6:12:00 PM

Universal Soldier said...

Very brave of you to let her do all that in one go. I'm so glad you are impressed. The one time a relative cut my hair (my dad) I ended up with a bald patch - I was 11 at the time.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 8:04:00 PM

Ally said...

I am SO scared to having my eyebrows plucked, or plucking them myself, that since the age of about 15, I've only had the one. I met a friend by chance today who'd just had hers waxed ... even more scary!

Saturday, October 08, 2005 9:18:00 PM

Helen said...

My sister BEGGED me to pluck her eyebrows once so I did. She hated every second of it but loved the results. Bottom line - she just didn't have the strength to put herself through the maintenance! Oh well, I tried!
Peace.............

Sunday, October 09, 2005 2:33:00 AM

Jo said...

Oddly, I can cope with eyebrow plucking, (and God knows I need to or else I'd end up as some horrible pastiche of Denis Healey.) My one top tip is to always pluck only from underneath (ie in the eye socket), not above. Not sure why - but it is apparently A Piece Of Good Advice.

But waxing I find eye watering awful...

You go Doris with your new image! Tell us about the clothes!

Sunday, October 09, 2005 2:55:00 PM

Z said...

I LIKE eyebrow plucking, it's a strangely pleasant sensation. But I guess after a few years, they learn to come out easier.
Thinking of having some length of my hair. So - no photo of the results?

Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:55:00 PM

doris said...

Sorry no photos!

For years I have shied away from layers remembering the shaggy layers of the 80s that just didn't work in my dead straight hair but have to say that something has changed and it looks great - and yet - still looks like I have some length in my hair.

As for that advice about not plucking above..... of course one does all the shaping from underneath but I still need to wipe out the stray ones from above.

I've had eyebrow waxing before and it is quick and relatively painless. As long as they only take off enough and not too much.

I've loved reading everyone's comments and their experiences or otherwise :-)

Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:32:00 PM

No comments: