Thursday 24 November 2005

Mooncup

In honour of Buy Nothing Day this Saturday I have bought (!) my daughter and I a Mooncup each. As you can see we have a mummy sized one on the right:

Also MrsDoF has long mentioned them and wrote again about The Diva Cup which is another brand of the same sort of thing. A friend of mine was raving about them a few years ago so, finally, I have taken the plunge.

Daughter is going to get hers for Christmas. It should be one of those suitably embarrassing gifts but I wish it wasn't an embarrassing subject for her. If it can help towards saving her from 10,000 sanitary towels and tampons during her lifetime then it must be a great gift.

As for me, I have yet to take my Mooncup for a tour. And to trim it's tail to what is comfortable for me. They reckon it lasts for ten years and all you do is insert, and then a couple of times a day remove, wipe out, rinse off and re-insert. Occasionally you are supposed to sterilise it in boiling water or in a steriliser. (I can hear it now.... "Muuuum, what's this boiling on the cooker?")

Apparently it can take up to two menstrual cycles to get used to it and then I'd never look back. I did lots of reading on the subject and found some very funny reviews. My natural ghoulish curiousity can't wait to see how the contents of my Mooncup works out in practise. Fingers crossed - not long to wait.


Original Comments:

The Editter said...
hello - delurking to point you to a blogger Mooncup review here:

http://watchamacallits.blogspot.com/2005/05/mooncup-is-here.html

hmm, you're not going to make your daughter open it in front of a whole bunch of rellies, are you?
Friday, November 25, 2005 2:32:00 AM
doris said...
Hallo The Editter

"hmm, you're not going to make your daughter open it in front of a whole bunch of rellies, are you?" Ooooh tempting revenge.... but no! More important issues at hand here.

Nice of you to de-lurk and I've put that link in as a clickable link...
watchamacallits.blogspot.com
Friday, November 25, 2005 7:38:00 AM
Ally said...
Hmm, I've read about these before, now definitely going to get one. But what happens at night? Do you need to get up half way through and empty it, or does that just depend on how heavy you are?
Friday, November 25, 2005 1:52:00 PM
doris said...
Just as you say, it depends.

I'm part way through reading this other review and subsequent comments.

I've already experimented myself and so far much better than I expected and have a few things to say in due course on the subject!
Friday, November 25, 2005 2:01:00 PM
MrsDoF said...
Thanks for the nod, Missy Doris. Blush, blush.
Actually, Ally, I like it best at night. No need for panties to hold a pad in place. I hate it when my panties get in a wad ;) !!
I've used my cup for several cycles and don't have leaking. It can stay in for as long as 10 hours, and holds several ounces.
Makes me wonder about what Natives used in times past. How come history always mentions battles but not fixable monthly needs?
Friday, November 25, 2005 6:32:00 PM
Badaunt said...
I'm looking forward to reading how you get on with it. I've thought about getting one, too. Maybe you will inspire me...

Mrsdof: I've often wondered about how women used to manage, too.
Saturday, November 26, 2005 3:13:00 AM
jane said...
Doris, won't your daughter just die if she finds out there was an actual photo of her Mooncup on an international blog? I dont think I'd tell her.
I find it cute you got mom & daughter ones. I'm thinking now of getting it for myself & Cavegirl.
I'll wait for your review first. :)
Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:07:00 AM
doris said...
Jane - she won't find out! The kids do not know about mommy's secret blogging habit which is why I keep it anonymous and do not mention their/our names.

:-)
Saturday, November 26, 2005 11:37:00 AM
Juggling Mother said...
Sounds like an interseting concept - you'll have to review it for us once its been used.

My mother once sent me embarrassing post while I was working in a holiday camp. we got the mail at breakfast, & I opened mine in front off all the staff & children for about 20 condoms to fall out. Thanks mum!

The historical evidence tends to show women used to have the big tie onto a waist-band pads that some of us can remember - filled with moss most usually. Of course women didn't menstruate as much, tending to be pregnant or feeding babies most of the time. Also, many cultures "secluded" menstruating women, making life much easier:-)
Saturday, November 26, 2005 6:56:00 PM
Writer Mom said...
I shall have to wait until the children are older. I expect they would think it a small trumpet.

Not that I would leave it lying around. Oh no. I'm very organized.
Sunday, November 27, 2005 12:15:00 AM
Jo said...
Well obviously I don't have any personal experience ;-) but 'er indoors swears by them and has been a loyalist for some years now!
Monday, November 28, 2005 8:47:00 AM

No comments: