Wednesday 2 November 2005

Buynothing days

Saturday November 26th 2005 is the UKs Buy Nothing Day but it seems that is on US calendars too.

This is a day when we take a break from our usual consumerism and try for a day without any obvious purchasing.

As a logical extension there is also Buy Nothing Christmas '05. For a few years I have been tending towards anti-consumerism and buying less and less gifts. Gifts in shops are starting to look like tat only to be got rid of at the next boot sale.

I'm not against gift giving - just give when you find something special to give. Doesn't have to be expensive, just with real feeling. I'm fed up with the idea of going to the shops and finding presents just for the sake of it.

Oooo. I am a miserable old codger tonight.



Original Comments:

mrshellonheels said...

I think christmas has become so commercialized its sickening. A gift should come from the heart. Now its demanded and always more, more, more. Its no wonder so many people go into deep depressions around the holidays.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:48:00 AM

jane said...

I completely agree. Last year I got my kids necessary things for their new home. This year will probably be 1 momento.
I do like using christmas money the day after Christmas for all those good sales....the bargains!
I just hate the push/shove/rush of crazy holidays.
I may just honor the Buy Nothing Days

Thursday, November 03, 2005 6:27:00 AM

Ally said...

I really like the buy-nothing thing and completely agree with you about christmas gifts. We bought a goat from Cafod last year and will probably do the same this year.

Hope your teen is cheerier this morning :).

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:33:00 AM

Ally said...

PS, I like the pink!

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:35:00 AM

doris said...

Where do you keep your goat Ally? !! ;-)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:37:00 AM

Mary P. said...

I deplore the commercializing of Christmas - and I love that picture! I like buying gifts for people, however, and so I do. Throughout the year, when I see something that cries out to belong to someone or other, I get it and put it in the back of a closet for Christmas.

That way I have gifts to give on The Day, but haven't had to force myself to anything, or spend wildly in desperation at the last minute. In fact, I avoid the stores in December like the plague!

I put up a link on my blog to a site that offers goats and bunnies and school supplies and the like, and a commenter told me of a second that does the same. Now you've listed a third!! This is great - who knew there were so many?

Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:27:00 PM

Gaz said...

I try not spending any money every day...... dosen't work

Thursday, November 03, 2005 11:17:00 PM

Ally said...

Well Doris, I wanted to keep it in the back yard and take it for walks on the prom on a piece of string, but B but his foot down. So we bought one for someone in Africa instead :).

Friday, November 04, 2005 11:32:00 AM

doris said...

Ahh! I'm so glad you cleared that one up Ally! Because if you were getting another goat this Christmas you would need a lot of string for those walks on the prom ;-)

Friday, November 04, 2005 12:12:00 PM

No comments: