Wednesday 28 September 2005

Teeth update


It is Wednesday and I am still in pain although it is a little less now and improving. I went back to the dentist on Monday who took a look, prescribed antibiotics and put in some clove and iodine packing. The extraction wounds were actually fine and clean but it seems that an infection has gotten in underneath. Maybe as a result of the surgery last week. Did I say that they had to drill out the bottom molar and then put in a stitch?

After my internet research (naturally!), I had thought maybe there were chips of tooth left in my jaw trying to make their way out and felt sure they would at least have to x-ray me. I had discounted dry sockets as certain symptoms were clearly missing although I have the pain going up my jaw into my ear. In the end, to find out that actually it was "just" an infection and nothing more serious I felt like a wooss although dear Mr Doris assured me I was a princess. As in "princess and the pea" I suppose!

The antibiotics should have started kicking in after 24 hours and I suppose they are, and at least I can go to bed at night now and not have to sleep propped up. But I am still feeling sore and out of sorts. Not nice at all.

To bring the sunshine back into my life, a dear friend sent me the sunflowers and exotic foilage pictured above. What a darling she is and how lovely they are. It is so exciting receiving flowers through the post. I am going to enjoy unpacking them from their clever cellophane and water wrapping and to arrange them in a vase. :-)



Original Comments:

Le laquet said...
*sounding like her mother* Aw poor you, just don't forget to take something to combat the effect of the anti-biotics on the rest of your body other than your mouth!!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:39:00 PM
Milt Bogs said...
I worked with a French woman who always put the painkiller pill right next to the tooth and kept it there until the pain went. "On no account swallow or crunch ze pill. Always allow it to disolve." You have my sympathies. Local heat helps - hot water bottle in a towel. Teaching Gran how to suck eggs here.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:22:00 PM
Cheryl said...
Oh I hate deep infections like that.
Have you been to the doctor too, for help to at leats get a night's sleep, while you are sore?
Being conscious of it even in your sleep is so wearing.
Get well soon.
What a wonderful bouquet! It looks like it must be huge - what on earth will you use for a vase?
:-)
Hugs.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:14:00 PM
Mama Mouse said...
Ooooh I can see the flowers in a big earthenware pitcher or crock! How LOVELY!

Antibiotics a MUST! I was told by a dentist once to take pain pills EXACTLY asprescribed ... EVEN if you think you can hold out an hour or three. Better to take them while the pain is less ... than to wait for the pain to get worse and THEN take them. The pills have a harder job to do if you wait. I tried it and it worked.

I've usually taken pain pills for up to a week after having teeth pulled ... but soon after that the pain is pretty much gone.

However, if you have an infection you do NOT want it getting into the bones! That can be terrible and very hard to get rid of.

So be a good girl and take your meds as directed!

HUGS
Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:14:00 AM
Anji said...
I hope some of this is starting to work by now. It's funny how some people seem to sail through these things no problem. At least you have your beautiful flowers to look at.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:08:00 AM
doris said...
Le Laquet Goodpoint. I should ask Ally for some advice as she speciliases in yoghurt!

Milt Bogs Hmm. You can teach me to suck eggs anytime... but on second thoughts!

Cheryl I'm sleeping a whole better and so am grateful for that. I couldn't bear sitting in the doctors waiting room nor asking for such medication. That would be too new territory for me. It has been bad but at least it feels to be getting better and less painful now. The bouquet is ever-so lovely and happy. Some of the exotic flowers are kangaroo paw. Luckily I have a glass vase with a wide neck in which they look great.

Mama Mouse Sadly I've no earthenware crocks but I too can see them in something like that! I am taking my meds as directed and certainly can't start the day without painkillers! Good info about when to take the painkillers - I will bear that in mind.

Anji Thanks! Maybe it is my karma for years in the past when I had not looked after my teeth. They showed an episode of Simpsons yesterday - the one with the dentist. Lisa needed braces and so as a warning they showed a book of English smiles! Oh dear - we are not that bad! Chandira was saying pretty much the same though she's a Brit in the US so maybe that doesn't count!
Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:40:00 PM
Pookie65 said...
Poor thing, you. Remembering back to having all 4 wisdom teeth removed many there was a *plus side* to all this ---- weight loss. I was 15 pounds lighter when all was said and done due to the fact that I couldn't/didn't feel like eating.

I hope the pain stays at bay and your spirits high.

Huggers!
Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:09:00 PM
mrshellonheels said...
Gran I hope your starting to feel a little better and more pain free. I feel for ya girl.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:31:00 PM
Ally said...
What beautiful flowers, very cheery. Hope you feel better soon ...
Friday, September 30, 2005 10:47:00 AM
Karen said...
I hope you are feeling better soon - Take care
Friday, September 30, 2005 2:49:00 PM

No comments: