Sunday 11 September 2005

Sanitary Towel Designers

I wonder who actually designs sanitary towels and how are they designed? I would be pretty miffed if it is actually a room full of men in white coats designing these things.

We've all heard the jokes about the ones with wings but what I don't get is the ones with the wings off centre leaving a slightly longer length one end. Sometimes easily an inch (two+ centimetres) longer so it is not insignificant in that part of the body. There are never instructions on the pack to say have the longer bit at the front or the back. I just want to know!


Original Comments:

MrsDoF said...

I quit thinking about it when I bought a Diva Cup about a year ago. I learned about one in the Dooce comments, read everything on their website, and decided to get one. Never looked back.

http://www.divacup.com/

Not that I'm an evangelist or anything, but I really wish I'd had one through my 30s.

Sunday, September 11, 2005 1:27:00 PM

Anji said...

My poor grannies used rags(!. The Diva cup sounds like a good idea......I'm glad I don't need to worry about 'such things' any more!

Sunday, September 11, 2005 2:18:00 PM

Pookie65 said...

My friend who has the spray tan salon I got to keeps a basket of "Barbie matresses" in the spray room. They are there for you to pull off the adhesive strip and apply to the bottom of your feet so they tanning potion doesn't stain your feet. I just can't bring myself to do it so I have the nicest tan on the sole of my feet.

Sunday, September 11, 2005 2:42:00 PM

Cheryl said...

I hate the damn things.
You have to buy so many brands to try and find one that fits your shape and doesnt leak, slide, or poke you in the thigh.
And they don't tell you that not all knickers will take the sticky, you need fairly unstretchy smalls or the wings undo and start caterpillar crawling down your jeans/tights.
Horrible.
Thanks for the tip, Mrs Dof - will try that.
At the moment its slim (wheres it gone?) liners, or crunch-when-you-walk nappy pad things, or tampons with the usual 'Dear God dont let it be too small/ let it be too big and leave rips of cotton wool behind'.
All that said, now I bet it IS men who design the lot.

Sunday, September 11, 2005 3:17:00 PM

Irma said...

Popped in because I saw you blogmarked me! I also recomment the Diva Cup. It's better for you, and the enviroment. Comfortable, clean, and just all around wonderful!

Sunday, September 11, 2005 5:51:00 PM

Mama Mouse said...

I'm going to check out the Diva Cup site ... but thank goodness I'm finished with all that! Oh the joys of getting old!! LOL

Sunday, September 11, 2005 10:38:00 PM

Badaunt said...

The worst bit is when a hair (or two) gets stuck to the adhesive, so that when you walk you go, "Ouch, ouch, ouch..."

Monday, September 12, 2005 4:36:00 AM

jane said...

did you know they actually sell cloth pads, some are even diaper like for menstrual cycles?

sew your own! (No, Doris, I'm NOT!)
http://www.menstruation.com.au/menstrualproducts/sanitarypads.html

i checked out the diva cup, they remind me of those 'instead' product that we have. i'll be glad after menopause, just so so glad!

Monday, September 12, 2005 5:38:00 AM

Le laquet said...

I bet it was a man - I always have this mental image of them trying to escape and fly out of the box ... it's the wings. I have never seen a Diva Cup for sale in the UK.

Monday, September 12, 2005 5:58:00 AM

Astryngia said...

Ironic that they go to all those lengths to design the perfect pad - and then don't tell us how to make the most of it! Just wait til you have to move on to TenaLady! Cough, cough - oh noooo!

Monday, September 12, 2005 9:40:00 AM

Ally said...

The friend of an ex of mine used to work for one of the manufacturers - apparently they used to have meetings where they discussed "CFZ's" ... "Control Flow Zones". I got him to stop talking about it at that point ...

Monday, September 12, 2005 10:30:00 AM

Jo said...

Re your question about if they're all designed by men...

Well yes they pretty much are actually! Don't ask me how I know that...but I do :-)

Monday, September 12, 2005 5:46:00 PM

thordora said...

i just love how the glue is stickier on skin than fabric.....

Monday, September 12, 2005 6:44:00 PM

Chandira said...

Diva cups must be like the Softcups I buy here. I think they're avalable in the UK called something like 'Moon cups' from some more sort of New-agey stores. Typical.. lol
Anyway, they're great. But I do always back up with pantyliners, they're only so leakproof, I don't quite trust them completely. And they're a bit messy to remove. Ick. NOt good for when husbands are in the bathroom with you. They tend to pass out.

yeah, I hear you.. My liners always crumple up and stick to the wrong places. I won't say where, but you know, if you haven't had a good wax lately! ow..

Monday, September 12, 2005 10:23:00 PM

Chandira said...

PS, you know Tampax put rayon in tampons, because it doesn't absorb as much, AND, it keeps you bleeding!!!

I've switched to organic cotton tampons when I'm not using cups...

Monday, September 12, 2005 10:33:00 PM

Z said...

I would be pretty miffed
Ha ha - I thought you said you would be 'pretty muffed'. Giggle
Thinking - diamante thong ST's would go down a treat.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:01:00 PM

No comments: