Saturday 7 June 2008

Smoked Haddock

Smoked Haddock on Cheddar Mash with Poached Egg and Hollandaise Sauce served with Spinach.

That's what I chose for lunch yesterday in a rather lovely old country house hotel restaurant in Staffordshire. After driving the wrong way and ending up driving small roads past green fields and through small villages with Classic FM pumping out rip-roaring greats such as Land of Hope and Glory.

I'm so glad that when my friend phoned on Thursday evening and asked me if I fancied joining her for lunch the next day that I said "yes". The weather was perfect sunshine and my friend had bagged the window seat for us with its plush high backed leather chairs.

And then once the ferocity of the sun had calmed down it was out in the garden for Strawberry Cheesecake with fresh strawberries and cream, and a coffee. Bliss.

6 comments:

Neutron said...

That is so totally unfair - I'm starving now!

Jo said...

I'm sure I just put a couple of pounds on just reading that...

Anji said...

Stop! Stop!
That sounds wonderful. I can imagine feeling sleepy and comfortable in the sun after all of that food...

Doris said...

Neutron
Funny you should say that because I wasn't hungry until I read that on the menu yesterday ;-)

Jo
Virtual pounds only!

Anji
Funny you should say that (!) I did feel very comfortable and pleasantly sleepy but it was OK and I recovered enough to drive the right way home.

Jo said...

That sounds absolutely lovely honey :-)

Oueff Poche Hollandaise even...;-)

Chandira said...

Now I'm hungry, that sounds great..

I never hear those British Greats on the radio any more, which is good, as when I do hear them they make me cry. I especially like Ralph Vaughn Williams.