Sunday 27 August 2006

Glass half-empty

For the past forty minutes I've lain on the chaise lounge in front of the telly thinking about my glass half-empty attitude. What prompted this line of thought was the fact that I realised that I had spent the last five hours laid on the chaise doing nothing and how lazy I was. It seems I spend a great chunk of every day in this same position either watching TV or asleep and what a way to waste my life. I do nothing.

Then I reflected on what I had been doing earlier. We had been out for about six hours. Quality time with my Mr Doris and son. Yesterday I had been out all day renewing acquaintance with one of my English cousins; the day before out for the day at museums chaperoning my mother who had wanted to take two of her grandsons (including my son) out for the day; the day before that I know I did quite a bit of "work" work.... and I can't remember too much of any specifics before then but I know that there are times I work hard: day and night; and other times I flaff around. Though I've done a lot of flaffing around for a very long time now.

So why do I think I do nothing. Why do I think I am wasting away my life and not achieving what I could achieve. This evening was that eureka moment. I realised that instead of bigging up all that I do I have a glass half empty attitude. If I instead thought good thoughts about all that I do then that would attract a better attitude. For the last few years I have dwelt on the "negatives" that need not be negatives at all. Surely I am allowed to relax. Allowed to do nothing, just watch TV or whatever.

It would be important to say that if my dear Mr Doris reads this he would say "Doh!". He always supports me and reminds me how much I do. But that is like having someone who loves you always telling you want they think you want to hear. The problem is within me. It is how I process.

So I shall now return to the chaise with a feigned air of encouragement and will try not to be kicking myself in a few days time for still doing nothing and try and remember the glass half-full attitude to which I usually give lip service.


Original Comments:

Britmum said...

I feel like that too sometimes and I don't think that I allow myself to do it to often. I think I should. I am always beating myself up over things I think that I should be doing. I think for me it's my inner demon whispering "You'll end up like your Mother"!

You enjoy your chaise lounge, you deserve it.

I loved hearing the word faffing. I miss hearing the little English sayings. Listening to these darn Yanks get a bit tiring. LOL

Take care xx

Monday, August 28, 2006 3:12:00 PM

Comment deleted

This post has been removed by the blog administrator.

Monday, August 28, 2006 3:12:00 PM

Curly K said...

enjoy your chaise-longue and stop feeling guilty, everyone deserves down-time and me-time even busy mums (or grans :-))

Monday, August 28, 2006 9:19:00 PM

Karn said...

Nice post. Check out daily-inspirations.org to help you stay on the couch and like it!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:19:00 AM

ChelseaFCChick said...

Generally I try to keep the glass half full attitude but I often find myself feeling guilty if I've spent the day doing nothing. It's silly really!

Anyway, like Britmum and Curly K said, go ahead and enjoy your chaise lounge!

:)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:15:00 PM

Astryngia said...

I always admire your ability to chill out without any guilt whatsoever. I aspire to the same so please don't change! You're a great role model!! ;-) It's a great skill to be able to go with the flow and even fall asleep amongst friends! :-)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:37:00 PM

Atyllah said...

Sounds like a bad case of Ye Olde Protestant Worke Ethic. Perhaps it's time to follow the Way of the Taoists who espouse "do nothing doing". It's a far more accepting attitude to life.
And stay on that chaise longue - you sound like you've more than earned it!

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:52:00 PM

Anji said...

I'm a glass half full person myself. Sounds to me that you deserve your time an the chaise lounge (with a full glass of wine, I hope!) I feel guilty about watching TV because I'm unemployed, but I rarely have time to watch TV. Isn't it strange the funny rules we set ourselves?

Friday, September 01, 2006 9:32:00 AM

No comments: