Thursday 29 June 2006

Retro Dreams

Am I not busy enough in my day to day life without being bombarded at night so that by the time morning comes I sluggishly slide out of bed?

No night terrors last night, instead a complex dream set in modern day but with so many aspects from the 1940s. Knitted jumpers that in my dream I recognised as having as a child: stocking stitch panels and pointy collars. But I am not a child of the 1940s. A modern day friend of mine - we used to have a lot of contact and I feel bad that we don't have any now. She turned up looking older and bigger and to meet with my companion. For less than a moment my old friend and I looked at each other but I turned away. Somehow I knew she turned and went off with my companion as arranged and then the penny dropped and I realised who she was. I ran around the corner and called after her and flung my arms around her. Everything was OK with her as it always was.

We ended up in a house with lots of bunting. The woman of the house had the most impossible exaggeratedly-shaped 1940s lips. The bow of the top lip curled right out and pointed up. There was excitement in the house about the sound of aeroplane engines going overhead and so she rushed to put some extra special flags on top of the house. But I knew that these flags were sending out the wrong message and that the planes were enemy ones. I was terrified about the flags being put up but everyone else was happy. The planes were coming nearer, the lady with the impossible lips was looking skyward and I was scared we were going to be bombed.

At this point I wake up. Heavy arms. Body exhausted. I wonder how I do another full day in the real world feeling this tired.


Original Comments:

Cheryl said...

So a stranger was recognised as a dear friend, a friendship facing an awkward silence was regenerated and healed - all very good stuff when none was expected.
Then you turned the tables and went to a lovely celebration which you knew was going to be a disaster.

So what in your real life are you accepting at face value when you should be looking deeper?

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:58:00 AM

Jo said...

Deep...Cheryl ;-)

For some reason your dream reminded me of an episode of Dr Who Doris...

Can't figure why...

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:08:00 AM

Pookie65 said...

My dreams are so boring and domesticated. Rarely do I dream of anything other than grocery shopping, talking on the phone, gardening etc.... I am as boring in my sleep as I am awake! :-)

Many hugs, sweet Doris!

Saturday, July 01, 2006 7:11:00 PM

No comments: