Monday 12 June 2006

51st State

Latest game of the World Cup has just come on as Mr Doris flicks the channel. A national anthem is playing to which 16 year old daughter says "That's the British anthem, I didn't think we were playing again until Thursday." Oh the irony. Sadly daughter prides herself on her knowledge of politics. She is more shocked that America can play football than mistaking the USA anthem for the British.

My sister in law is Czech so we may well be cheering them on in their game against USA.

I am quite partial to World Cup football. It can be excellent and exciting when it is good. Oh yes! Czech Republic just scored a brilliant full-on goal barely 5 minutes into the game.


Original Comments:

Britmum said...

Oh Doris don't get sucked in. Noooooooooooooooooo!!!! I will save you.... LOL

Have fun sweetie xx

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:04:00 PM

Neutron said...

...and then they scored 2 more brilliant goals...cor blimey! By the way, who said the Americans could play footy?

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:43:00 PM

Anji said...

We're supporting France and England here. Am managing to avoid most matches but I will watch the final

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:56:00 PM

Jo said...

I lurrrve the World Cup. Sorry, just can't help it ;-)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:32:00 PM

Le laquet said...

:o( Bleugh football! :o( Taking over my TV's life ... or maybe that's just my little dear's excuse!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:04:00 AM

Haddock said...

Unfortunately the UK is slowly but surely becoming the 51st state.
The Czechs looked good! :)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:42:00 PM

Milt Bogs said...

British anthem Gran? Do I detect just a hint of political correctness there?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:36:00 PM

doris said...

Poor Trini ..... they played well, really well but luckily England got there in the final moments with two good goals. Hooray!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:01:00 PM

Britmum said...

There was lots of screaming in my house this morning.

C'mon England.... o.k. now I am being sucked in. Oh dear!!!

Friday, June 16, 2006 3:26:00 AM

jane said...

My favorite teams are Argentina & Brazil. I always pick an underdog team I like. I think last time it was Senegal. (?) And of course, I want USA, but I know our team isn't up to par with the European or Hispanic teams.
gooooooooooooooooooal!!

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:29:00 PM

Ghone said...

I've taken a special photo that I'll post on Tuesday, can you guess what it'll be?
;o)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:18:00 PM

Gerald Ford said...

Like Jane, I favor the underdog.

My vote is for Ghana. I hope that they beat the US (though I am American).

Then, the US is an underdog in its own right...*sigh*

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:18:00 AM

Jo said...

Doris...where are you hon? Sucked into work? Swallowed by the World Cup?!

Hope all is well :-)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:04:00 AM

doris said...

Work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, and then the World Cup!

Dilemma tonight.... my wonderful new Tai Chi class (second session) or the England match? Oh dear, very difficult choice with the World Cup winning hands down at the moment. ?!

Thanks for asking.... I have been thinking of doing a busy post!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:33:00 PM

No comments: