Thursday 14 September 2006

An act of faith

This will be news to those few people who know me in real life. Things have happened so quickly and that's the way things tend to happen round here.

Although I am committed to the idealogy of home education my secondary year age son will be returning to a full time school environment quite soon. It was son's request as a result of peer pressure from friends who said it was an okay school and I just investigated further and arranged a visit. Getting a place is not yet in concrete and we have had a few hurdles along the way but I am quite joyful as it all feels so right.

It turns out that the local rubbishy school wasn't so bad after all and had a lot of bad press. In fact the local school is wonderful to the point I want to cry at how lovely it is on both a pastoral, educational and even architectural level.

Then we find out that son can't have a place after all so I am to go through appeals. A few phone calls later and I already have references sent to the school who call at the end of the school day with some reassuring noises, that son is to attend on Monday for the usual testing procedure, and that one way or another they will squeeze him in.

The act of faith happened earlier today just after the initial refusal (from the council offices and by post - the school do not deal with their own admissions!) and I went into town to get a copy of the guidance for making an appeal. A bit further down the road is the uniform shop where I bought a school tie and sweater in son's size. Buying these essential items showed that I knew he would be going to that school. But I didn't show him until the call from school. He is happy and I am happy.

It has been an interesting wonderful day. This afternoon daughter brought home her A level exam artwork which she gave her permission for me to put up. One piece is appropriately in the breakfast room as it has kitchen connotations which she revealed the colours were based on our own kitchen which she liked. And the other piece which is Klimt in style, I put up over the fire place in pride of place in our parlour. She had no idea and thought I was going to put it up in the hall. She's just come home and seems secretly surprised where I have placed it.

It would be safe to say I am feeling quite smug with today.


Original Comments:

Atyllah said...

Sounds like the gods, the creative forces et al, have all been on your side today. Isn't it so nice when life turns out well. Why doesn't it happen more often, I wonder...

Friday, September 15, 2006 8:27:00 AM


ella m. said...

Well if they are working this hard to get him admitted, I'm sure they'll also do a lovely job educating him

Saturday, September 16, 2006 7:46:00 AM

Anonymous said...

A result! :-) I both envy you and am very pleased for you all. :-) Enjoy! :-)

Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:46:00 PM

Anonymous said...

PS That was me, Astryngia!

Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:47:00 PM

jane said...

Your reaction to your son's request about going to a public school sends him such a positive message. It shows him that he does indeed have valuable ideas & that, as an adult, you find them worth considering. How happy you must be making him by granting him this.
I hope it all works out for the best.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:32:00 AM


Anji said...

nothing can make us feel more happy than our children.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:34:00 PM

Britmum said...

I am so glad that today turned out to be a wonderful day. You sound like you have some brilliant children.

Take care xx

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:57:00 PM


Gerald Ford said...

Good with your son going to school. :)

Monday, September 18, 2006 2:48:00 AM

No comments: