Monday 10 October 2005

Spinning cartwheels


Sometimes I'd just like to spin cartwheels. I can see it in my mind but know I just couldn't will my body to follow through so I'd likely end up an ungainly heap on the floor. As I've gotten older I want to play more and feel a lightness of spirit.



Sometimes I get musical song tunes floating through my mind such as from "My Fair Lady" .... "I could have danced all night, I could have danced all night and never, ever stopped..." and with that my bodice clad body swings round the dance floor of my mind with the biggest grin on my face.


Sometimes it is the tune from "Sound of Music": "I am sixteen going on seventeen" sung in a clear crisp voice as I dance around the bandstand lightly jumping up and down over the seats or swinging around the bars.


Sometimes I'm Gene Kelly "I'm singing in the rain, I'm singing in the rain. What a glorious feeeeling, I'm sinnnnging in the rain.." Best of all I am Ginger Rogers against Fred Astaire. With a beautifully tailored dress of chiffon sweeping or swinging as he holds me round a tiny corseted waist dancing with swift graceful moves covering the dance floor and swirling up a magic with a life of its own.

This isn't entirely a fantasy. Many years ago I used to love going to dances with my then boyfriend. He had a group of friends I had become friends with, one of which I discovered after a while shared a passion to dance. My friend was one of those very tall and dark, scary looking characters who was actually a pussy cat.


We would dance to soca and soul and dance tunes with these amazingly elaborate dances made up as we went along. The dance floor would clear and we'd make full use of it with all sorts of moves moving from one to another with an intuitive flow and gracefulness. At times our dances would be hot and suggestive but we never crossed those boundaries. I'm sure if had the chance again we would fall into our old dancing ways.

The last time I danced was a few months ago with my beloved Mr Doris at a friend's birthday party. My outgoing ways flitted around the room chatting to everyone sat on their own individual "keeping to themselves" tables and when the music struck up I was ready to hit the empty dance floor especially to encourage others. All the while, my darling quiet Mr Doris held his head up high, and with willing heart accompanied me onto the dance floor. Looking magnificent in his blazer. And he kept on dancing, at times holding me round the waist..... For that memory I adore him so much.



Original Comments:

Astryngia said...
All that music in your soul - and the words so well illustrated with the verve of the little ballet dancer. And lovely memories to share, too. What happiness in your life now! :-)
Monday, October 10, 2005 11:15:00 PM
jane said...
awwww Mr.Doris is so wonderful. Sometimes when I'm home alone, I dance around the house with those same songs in my head.
But you obviously can dance! You've got such a way with words, as you were describing that, I saw you & your parnters dancing in my mind's eye. You're one of a kind Doris.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:00:00 AM
mrshellonheels said...
Ohh I love to dance too, but my style is more the jitterbug and twist : ) And I dont mind dancing with hubby even tho he looks like a chicken that had its head chopped off, arms and legs flappin everywhere heehee..hes mine and I just flap right along with him.

Your post reminded me of that song, "I Hope you Dance" I forget who sang it.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:39:00 AM
DaFFy said...
Oh the part about Mr Doris is SO lovely. Isn't he marvellous?
I get in trouble all the time from The MOTH for dancing jigs down the supermarket aisle if something cool comes over the speakers.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:32:00 AM
Le laquet said...
I love dancing - it's just wonderful, takes away all the days cares ~ there's just the music! Lovely :o)
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:35:00 AM
Le laquet said...
p.s. hell on heels is right about the song ~ sung by Lee Ann Womack but I think it was covered by Ronan Keating or some other ex-boy band Irish chappie

"And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance,
I hope you dance!"
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:39:00 AM
Neutron said...
Nice one! I know exactly th feeling of anting to set off on some energetic movement but realising that your leaden body (sorry..MY leaden body) would never allow itself to be dragged along. It's maybe a childhood memory of being tossed in the air by your parents of something because Ic ertainly never did any of that flitting around you so neatly describe.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 7:06:00 AM
doris said...
Astryngia It is true! Sometimes I burst with such happiness now and I want to share it :-)

Jane We could dance together :-) I think I dance in the same way I sing.... not necessarily good but boldy. Just let your body fly and feel the music. There are no wrong moves and I found that once I realised that, I actually flowed better as I didn't feel so self-concious.

Hell on Heels LOL I love the thought of your hubby but it is wonderful nonetheless. At least he is not sitting it out and is getting right on down with you :-) I don't know the song you mention - I need to check it out. Perhaps I do know it and didn't realise it!

Daffy You too in the shopping aisles?! My kids freak when I do anything out of the normal in the shops and hold on to me and the trolley very tight. Like you say, when something good plays on the tannoy. On the other hand, Mr Doris has been known to hurl himself onto the back of a trolley and whizz down an empty aisle so I reckon we are well suited!

le Laquet we could have a synchronised dance-in .... :-) That would be fun! Thanks for finding the details of that song - I must check it out.

Neutron LOL my body is leaden too. Well it is for cart wheels but never for dancing. I'd dance with you :-)
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:21:00 AM
Pookie65 said...
One of my favorite memories of my mom was watching her do cartwheels all the way around our house when I was very young.

Thanks for bringing back this memory today. I needed it.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:07:00 PM
Le laquet said...
If I could work out how to record it off the cd and send it .... but I am a tad thick .... and of course I wouldn't actually do it because it wouldn't be legal! *blushes*
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 6:34:00 AM
doris said...
Awww! Thanks Le Laquet! Thanks to Amazon we can hear Lee Ann Womack but not Ronan Keating And that second link actualy has the refrain. And I don't think I've heard it, ever. So, thanks!
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:40:00 AM
doris said...
Pookie - sounds like an amazing mother you have :-) Sorry you were having a rough day...
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:42:00 AM
Jo said...
Bit late with this one...but what a lovely post! I like your little dancers especially. I'm working on learning how to upload groovy little pics :-)
Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:58:00 PM
doris said...
Thanks Jo .... you already upload pics don't you? I use mainly royalty free pics that we have and often save them as a gif with a transparent background so that they don't look square but really they are.
Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:26:00 PM

No comments: