Wednesday 26 October 2005

To catch a smell

Last night I cooked a fantastic fillet of salmon with a real hollandaise sauce which I made myself. The sauce was a bit lemony but otherwise the whole was delish. Thick steaks of salmon slightly crispy all round and soft succulent center.

The trouble is the fishy smelly from the frying. Maybe it was the skin of the salmon or something but it was vile and stank the whole house. Burning incense didn't help.

This morning I threw open all windows and doors and it didn't help enough. A quick google tells me I should boil a pan of water with half a lemon in it. Hours later that didn't help either.

It also didn't help that I then forgot the boiling pan of water and lemon....

Another google later for how to get rid of burnt smells and another pan of water with a huge handful of cloves. It worked, for both the fish and burnt smells! I'm almost tempted to do it again with a dried orange and some cloves. To get that Christmassy feeling.


Original Comments:

Minerva said...

*laughing*
I SO know that feeling!

I find lemony water or vinegary water in a pan helps...or in the microwave...

Minerva

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:25:00 PM

Milt Bogs said...

You eat too well Gran. You're always conjuring up exotic dishes. I always wondered why I stick to cornflakes and a cheese sandwich. It's because I don't have any cloves or dried orange.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:35:00 PM

Astryngia said...

LOL - the cure being worse than the disease!!! I use a lemon in the microwave to get rid of haddock smells from the kedgeree but I despair of how the house smells after cooking bacon, or curry, or anything much except Sunday lunch.

And everything in the kitchen gets covered in grease after frying mince for the spag bol - and then there's that layer of dust that attaches itself...

There's a lot to be said for instant meals and the microwave!!! (Not!)

I suppose there's much to be said for clutter-free kitchens, too, so there's nothing for the muck to adhere to! ;-)

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:35:00 PM

Jo said...

Great tip. I did some monkfish the other day and boy...the whole house was full of it for days. It's such a strong flavoured fish (which is why I love it), i gues that's why it's got such a pong too!

Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:18:00 AM

mrshellonheels said...

I hate fish. My husband loves it. When I make it for him, I gag all day smelling that fish in my house. Thanks for the tip!!!!

I was boiling eggs for hard boiled eggs once and forgot about it. Ohhh that was a foul odor that lingered for days. Had to throw the whole pot out, burnt eggs and all.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:13:00 AM

doris said...

Minerva Maybe I needed to have the lemony water on at the time of cooking. It was such a farce.

Milt LOL I have to say I was well impressed with the Hollandaise sauce and if you really want to impress Mrs Bogs with Hollandaise with her cheese sarnie then let me know and I'll give you the recipe!

Astryngia I don't mind bacon smells! Yes, that darned haddock smell from the kedgeree - I have great sympathy now for those who don't like the smell! LOL at that darned dust sticking to the grease - all this work just to enjoy nice food :-)

Jo I so love Monkfish but I didn't realise that could have such an offensive smell. I see it as having almost a wonderful lobster or prawn taste.

Mrs Hell on Hells We've got a thick black crust on our pan too but I noticed where the lemon still sat in the pan that the burn was non-existant so I used it to wipe over the rest of the pan - or rather the lemon squelched into a pulp - but I think it made a difference. Mr Doris has taken over salvaging the pan so I don't know what the latest status is!

Burnt eggs smell is the worst though!

Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:22:00 AM

Cheryl said...

I'm with Milt - stop torturing us budget bangers and mash sorts with your delicacies!
Not really.

I would sooner the house smelled of fish than cloves - they are one of my real aversions and a tummy turner. Glad it worked for you, though!
:-)

Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:52:00 PM

jane said...

lol doris. I love salmon, but not the fishy smell. let us know how the cloves & oranges work (sounds like it will smell wonderful)

Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:41:00 PM

zandperl said...

Oh my. I usually just throw the windows open and turn on the ceiling fans.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 5:33:00 AM

No comments: